It’s renovating season, but one of the most common oversights that renovators make is to assume that their home and contents cover is adequate enough for their property in any circumstance, when it just isn’t the case.

Leading comparison service advises that home renovators understand what is and isn’t covered in their home and contents cover, to ensure they are prepared in the event of any on-site mishaps.

Abigail Koch, spokesperson for says, “Surprisingly, in most cases there are two types of policies needed to adequately cover any risks in your renovation: your own home and contents cover, and cover taken out by the builder. If you are the builder, you will need to take out builders’ cover in addition to home and contents cover.” uncovers the 10 most surprising financial risks to renovators.   

  1. Your renovation might not be covered if you don’t notify your insurer. In the case of some policies, if something goes wrong during your renovation you might not be able to make a claim if you haven’t informed your insurer about a renovation taking place. Some policies require you to list any building works as an added extra.
  1. Some policies will lapse if a home is vacated for longer than a specific period. Thinking of vacating while renovating? Maybe think again. “I advise homeowners to check their policies first to see if this might be the case,” Abigail says. “Some policies might lapse if homeowners vacate for more than 60 days.”
  1. Claims over $50,000 are not usually covered. The majority of home and contents policies do not cover homeowners for claims that occur during renovations over a set amount, often over $50,000. Abigail says: “Renovations over $50,000 will categorise homes as building sites. Over this value, homeowners’ legal liability cover – which protects them against claims for injuries on the property – could also be compromised,” says Abigail.
  1. Limited cover for damage to building materials from unexpected events. “Damage to building materials by listed events determined by the insurer can include break-ins, fires, earthquakes and accidental damage,” Abigail explains. “These types of damages are covered, but often only up to a maximum of $5000. I recommend homeowners seek the cover that offers the highest payout for such events.”
  1. Most policies won’t cover homeowners undertaking renovations. Abigail says, “If homeowners are undertaking any part of the renovation themselves, or coordinating as a project manager, they may need builders’ insurance on top of their home and contents cover.”
  1. New owners of a renovated home can make a claim against the previous owner. Homeowners selling a home they recently built or renovated may need Owner Builder Warranty insurance[1] to protect themselves against potential claims made by the new owner if they discover defects in the work they carried out.
  1. Homeowners aren’t covered against incomplete or defective work if their builder hasn’t insured the project. “Not many homeowners know that it’s compulsory for builders to have their own Builders Insurance if the residential work is over $12,000[2],” says Abigail. “This protects the homeowner if the builders don’t complete their work or the renovations they have done is defective; therefore homeowners must check their builder’s policy are up to date.”
  1. Limited or no cover for repairs to inherent works. Most policies exclude the builder’s cost to repair faulty work when the defect has been caused by previous faulty workmanship, or materials. Some insurance policies will not cover any of the costs to correct a defect, and any of the damage caused by it. Other policies provide limited defects cover, where the defect is excluded, but the resulting damage arising from faulty workmanship is insured. Homeowners must therefore read their policy to check what is covered.
  1. Homeowners aren’t covered if work is abandoned after 30 days. “A builder’s insurance policy might not accept claims for any damage arising out of abandonment of the renovation work exceeding 30 consecutive days, which could leave some owners in a sticky situation,” says Abigail. “I would advise homeowners check their policy fully covers them for renovation costs or look for another policy which will.”
  1. The policy is affected if the value of the home changes. “Once the home renovation is complete, homeowners will need to revise their home and contents cover to ensure it reflects the new value of the home, which will have changed, hopefully for the better,” says Abigail.

Abigail adds, “The best thing you can do to remove all doubt about your home and contents cover is to check your policy documents and contact your insurer directly as policies can differ.”


Compare the Market’s spokesperson Abigail Koch is available to talk further about the survey findings and provide advice to Australians looking for ways to save on their car insurance.

For interviews with Abigail Koch and more information, please contact:

Phemmie Wilkinson | 02 8315 7038| 0448725347 | e:


About is an online comparison service that takes the hard work out of shopping around. We help Australians to quickly and easily compare and buy products from a wide range of providers. Our easy-to-use comparison tool enables consumers to find a product that best suits their needs and their back pocket. We’re also in the business of comparing personal finance products, utilities and can help find the lowest fuel prices in your area. Whether it’s car, health or home & contents insurance, we provide a completely free service, that empowers Australians to make buying decisions with greater trust, knowledge and savings. We’ve got your back, simples.


[1] Owner builder Warranty Insurance’ is only a requirement in VIC and WA if you have renovated your property and then sell it.

[2] For some policies, cover is a requirement for:

  • ACT & SA – residential building work valued over $12,000
  • VIC – work valued over $16,000
  • WA & NSW – work valued over $20,000
  • QLD – n/a


Launched in September of 2012, – operated by Compare the Market Pty Ltd (CTM) – has teamed up with a range of Australia’s insurance providers so you can compare some of the latest deals, in one place, side-by-side. The team behind have experience in insurance, comparison, customer service and digital. If this was a stuffy corporate monologue, we’d tell you that we’re a bunch of subject matter experts specialising in User Experience, Customer Insights & Online Strategies. But to be honest, it’s just as accurate (and a whole lot easier) to say that we’re a bunch of people who want to make your experience with online comparison better. We pride ourselves on the fact that we’re forward-thinking, that we share an entrepreneurial spirit, and the fact that we like to have a bit of a laugh too. We’re all a bit too addicted to chocolate, but no one’s perfect, really.

More posts by

On this website you can compare quotes and purchase products from participating brands for health insurance, car insurance, travel insurance, life and income protection insurance, home and contents insurance, energy plans, roadside assistance products, home loans and credit cards.

We do not compare all products in the market and at times not all brands may be available. Visit each product page, as well as our Website Terms of Use, Financial Services Guide (Car, Home and Travel Insurance Products), Financial Services Guide (Life Insurance Products) and Credit Guide for detail about who we compare, how we make money and how our comparison service works for each product.

The Compare The Market website and trading name are owned by Compare The Market Pty Ltd ACN 117 323 378.