Are you guilty of booking travel insurance at the last minute?
While they’re not common occurrences, situations like falling ill before your long-awaited holiday, or having your departure flight cancelled, do happen.
The best time to purchase your travel insurance is as soon as you have booked your holiday.
Travel insurance covers you from the moment you book, and covers you for situations that might stop you from even leaving on your holiday.
Five reasons to take out travel cover before you depart
- It provides you with a financial umbrella before you even take off. So long as you don’t leave taking out travel cover until the last minute, you will get to enjoy cancellation cover if you need to postpone your trip due to illness or injury. Without cover, you may be unable to claim for non-refundable expenses (such as airline tickets) that you’ve already paid for. Also, you might be able to claim in the event your travelling partner needs to cancel their trip – depending on your level of cover.
- You’ll be covered for delays. As annoying as they are, flight delays and cancellations do happen from time to time. If a delay or cancellation affects your travel plans, insurance can save you from spending the night at the airport, as many policies cover the cost of short-term accommodation.
- Your belongings will be protected. Taking out cover early on means your belongings – including suitcases and/or handbags you might carry throughout the day – are covered from the moment you leave your front door.
- Your insurance might influence your holiday. Certain activities such as hiking, parachute jumping, mountain climbing and even jet skiing are not always covered by a travel insurance policy. It pays to consider your travel cover early on, so you’re covered for whatever type of holiday you want to have.
- Lastly and most crucially, you’ll have peace of mind. This is the main purpose of taking out travel insurance before your journey – you’ll know you have financial cover if you get in a predicament before and while travelling.
Let’s be honest. You were probably considering getting travel insurance. We just recommend getting it a little earlier than most people usually do.