Have you ever received a bill, with the shock in finding that it was much bigger than you were expecting? If so, you’re not alone.
Compare the Market’s recent Bill Shock Tracker survey* found that 47% of Australians received a shock bill in the last three months that they weren’t expecting. Surprisingly, 81% of those people said it was an electricity and/or gas bill that shocked them.
There can be any number of reasons why electricity prices and bills are higher than expected, ranging from changes in energy usage to the average cost of electricity and more. However, understanding the average electricity bill can help Australians know if their bill is on par with others in their state. If not, there may be something else at play driving up the bill.
To help you understand how the average electricity bill compares between Australian states, we’ve pulled some interesting statistics and information together to form this guide. This includes:
- The average electricity bill prices in Australia
- Average electricity bills – a snapshot by state
- Who pays more for electricity in Australia – Men or women?
- The age group with the highest electricity bills in Australia
- Electricity bill shock by state
- Electricity bill shock by age group
- What can impact electricity bills?
*Compare the Market commissioned PureProfile to survey 1,501 Australian adults in September 2021. Responses required a minimum of 30 responses to be considered. The ACT, TAS and NT have been excluded due to low sampling data.