Insurance for watches

Average customer rating: 4.3/5
Written by Kenneth Young
Reviewed by Adrian Taylor
Updated March 19, 2024

Expert tips on insurance for watches

Our resident home and contents insurance expert, Adrian Taylor, has tips for getting insurance for watches.

Adrian Taylor
Executive General Manager – General Insurance

Expensive watches may need personal effects cover

If you own a specialised or rare and collectible watch, you may want to insure it for an agreed value against insured events like accidental loss. Specifying a luxury watch separately will mean that it’s insured for the price you would pay to replace it, which will be reflected in your policy documents.

Keep records of receipts and photos of your insured items

Keep your receipts and certificates of valuation, take photos and store them all away on an external hard drive or in cloud-based storage. Proving ownership this way can be the most assured way of being reimbursed in the event of a claim.

Keep your jewellery safe

While on holiday, it’s important to keep your watch and any high-value jewellery safe and secure by keeping the pieces locked away or out of sight when not being worn. This can give you peace of mind that your items should still be there upon your return. This is also important even when not on holiday.

Insurance for watches

Can I insure my watch?

Should I insure my watch?

How to insure a watch

Personal effects insurance

What does personal effects insurance cover?

What types of personal effects cover are there?

Is personal effects insurance worth it?

What's not covered by personal effects cover?

Important to know

What’s the difference between contents insurance and personal effects cover?

Meet our home and contents expert, Adrian Taylor

Adrian Taylor
Executive General Manager – General Insurance

As the Executive General Manager of General Insurance at Compare the Market, Adrian Taylor works to make it easier for homeowners, renters and landlords to protect their home and contents. He believes it’s important for all residents (whether they rent, own or lease) to have adequate financial cover for their property and belongings in case the worse should happen.