A prestige car is a high-end performance vehicle, usually European or UK-made. They are also called ‘exotic cars’ or ‘luxury sports cars’, and can include assorted Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus, Aston Martin and Bugatti models.
If this is the kind of car you desperately want, you’ll need insurance that matches the prestige of your ride.
What does prestige car insurance cover?
Exotic car owners can benefit from having comprehensive car insurance, with a couple of extras on top. While covered events and benefits differ between providers, some of the most common covered events for prestige cars include:
- Accidental damage. If your vehicle suffers accidental damage, your insurer can cover the repair costs.
- Loss or damage by fire. If you lose your car to fire or it sustains considerable fire damage, your insurer can provide financial cover.
- Storm or flood damage. As with other classic car insurance policies, exotic car insurance can cover the repair or replacement of your vehicle if it suffers flood or storm damage.
- Damage to another vehicle or property. If you’re involved in a car accident where the other person’s vehicle or property sustains damage, your insurer can foot the repair costs.
- Theft or attempted theft. Your provider can cover the costs associated with the repairs to your vehicle if it was stolen and later recovered in a damaged condition.
- Damage to modifications. Your insurer may cover the repairs or replacement of any modifications or fittings if they get damaged by fire, flood, storm or a vandalism act, or get stolen.
- Vandalism or malicious act. If your car suffers damages from a vandal attack, your insurer is obliged to provide repairs cover.
- Windscreen or window glass damage. Most insurers include the cost of windscreen or window glass repairs in the insurance policy. Some insurers offer this feature excess free.
- Emergency repairs to your car. Most insurers cover emergency repair costs to a predetermined limit.
- Salvage rights. This means you retain the ownership of the wreck in the event of a total loss of your vehicle, which you can then choose to restore or sell for parts.
- Towing. Your insurer can cover costs associated with a towing vehicle if your car is damaged in a road accident.
How can I save on my prestige car insurance?
A considerable number of prestige car models have a legendary status in popular culture. Being a car owner’s dream, even the most basic exotic car models typically carry significant insurance fees on top of a hefty price tag and upkeep costs.
Fear not, however, as there are ways you can save on insuring your high-powered beauty. These include the following:
- Securing your car. Equipping your speed demon with an efficient car alarm and immobiliser will both protect it from theft and potentially reduce the cost of your exotic car insurance.
- Taking an approved skilled driver course. Driving an exotic car typically requires higher-level driving skills. Some insurers will look more favourably on exotic car owners with an approved skilled driver course (sometimes referred to as ‘defensive driving’) certificate. These drivers pay a cheaper premium as the result.
- Choosing a driver age restriction. Restricting the age of the youngest driver could also bring down the premium.
How we can help
Getting your supercharged treasure covered against risks will help you glide on. We can save you time by referring you to a trusted Australian provider.
Comparethemarket.com.au is a great place to buy insurance for your performance vehicle. While we do not provide a comparison service for prestige car insurance in Australia, we are proud to be able to refer you to a trusted provider who can help you get covered.