We do not compare all brands in the market, or all products offered by all brands. At times certain brands or products may not be available or offered to you. Learn more.

Fire insurance as part of home and contents cover

Fire insurance is usually a standard inclusion in home and contents insurance. This type of insurance is designed to cover you in the event a fire damages or destroys your home and/or possessions.

Not having the right kind of cover, or being underinsured in the event of a fire, could leave you in a financially vulnerable position. As such, it’s essential that you:

  • research all your options to find great-value home and contents cover; and
  • ensure the total value of your home and contents are covered.

With our free service, it’s a simple matter to compare policies from a variety of Australian home and contents insurance providers.

Looking for fire insurance cover? We’ve got your back

Compare in minutes

You can compare insurance policies in just minutes, all in the one place. Learn more.

Explore your options

Easily explore all your options side-by-side and save yourself time and hassle.

Get expert advice

Our team of experts are standing by, ready to help you with any questions or problems you may have.

At no cost to you

Comparing with us costs nothing, even when you purchase a policy. We are paid on commission by insurers. Learn more.

Frequently asked questions

Should I have coverage for fire for my home?

A better question to ask, perhaps, is could you afford to totally rebuild your home if a bushfire or house fire damaged it beyond repair?

Fire cover is particularly crucial in Australia – a country no stranger to this natural phenomenon. During the summer months, raging bushfires claim hundreds of properties all over the country, destroying the homes and belongings of many families.

While certain states are more likely to experience bushfires than other areas, it’s always better to be safe than sorry – especially when fires can start anywhere, even in your own house!

Thankfully, home and contents insurance can provide a payout towards the repair or rebuilding of your home if it’s damaged by fire, protecting you from major out-of-pocket costs.

If you’d like to know how much you could be insured for in the event of a fire, you can complete a quote through our comparison service.

How does home and contents insurance cover fire damage?

We’ve listed the typical inclusions and exclusions found for home and contents insurance policies. Please be aware that these lists aren’t exhaustive. It’s always important to compare policies and check your Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) before purchasing to fully understand the scope of cover.

What’s covered in home insurance?What’s covered in contents insurance?What isn’t covered?
  • Repair or replacement of buildings
  • Demolition of damaged buildings
  •  Removal of debris
  • Temporary accommodation
  • Professional fees for architects and surveyors
  • Repair or replacement of possessions
  •  Removal of damaged belongings from the property
  • Moving or storage fees for undamaged contents
  • Claims for bushfires within a certain period of time after taking out a policy
  • Lack of flame (damage caused by scorches, melting, smoke, etc.)
  • Reckless, deliberate or illegal activity resulting in a fire
  • Failure to comply with fire safety laws

How much does it cost to include fire cover in home and contents insurance?

Fire insurance is included in home and contents policies, so you pay for it through your premiums. Though, how much you pay in premiums can be influenced by the risk of fire at your address.

For example, living in a bushfire-prone area may increase your premiums, as your provider will see you as a higher risk to cover.

If you’d like to find out how much you could pay for home and contents insurance, get your quote through our comparison service.

Who provides home and contents insurance in Australia?

If you’re looking to compare home and contents insurance providers that offer fire cover, you can use our free comparison service. Our service helps you search, compare and purchase insurance all in the one place!

You can also look through the following list of home and contents insurance providers. Please be aware that this list may not be exhaustive and is subject to change. Providers highlighted below are our partners.


  • 1300 Insurance
  • 1Cover (only available to existing customers)
  • 1st for Women Insurance
  • AAMI
  • AIG
  • Allianz
  • ANZ
  • Apia
  • Aussie
  • Australia Post
  • Australian Seniors
  • Australian Unity
  • Bank of Melbourne
  • Bank of Queensland
  •  BankSA
  • Beyond Bank
  • Budget Direct
  • Bupa
  • CCI Personal Insurance
  • CGU
  • CHU
  • Coles Insurance
  • Commonwealth Bank
  • COTA Insurance
  • CUA
  • Elders Insurance
  • Essentials by AAI
  • GIO
  • Guild Insurance
  • HBF

Information accurate as at 5 November 2019.

Ready to look for a better deal? It’s easy to compare with us.

Compare home and contents insurance