Motor burnout cover

Be prepared for appliance breakdowns by adding motor burnout cover to your home and contents insurance

Average customer rating: 4.3/5

A guide to motor burnout cover

Updated March 21, 2024
Written by Kenneth Young
Reviewed by Adrian Taylor

Expert tips for adding motor burnout cover to your home and contents policy

Our home and contents insurance expert, Adrian Taylor, has some helpful tips for providing cover for your home appliances.

Adrian Taylor
Executive General Manager – General Insurance

Check the conditions of your coverage

Check your PDS to find out what the criteria is for an appliance to be covered under motor burnout.

Take care of your appliances

Ensure that appliance motors are adequately ventilated to prevent overheating. Clean any dust or debris that may accumulate around the motor’s cooling fans or vents.

Consider using overheating devices

You may like to install thermal overload protection devices that can automatically shut off the motor if it begins to overheat. These devices act as a safety net to prevent burnout.

About motor burnout cover

What is motor burnout cover?

What appliances are covered for motor burnout?

What are the exclusions on motor burnout cover?

Important to know

Why is motor burnout cover important?

Should I add motor burnout cover to my home and contents insurance?

How much does cover for motor burnout cost?

Meet our home and contents expert, Adrian Taylor

Adrian Taylor
Executive General Manager – General Insurance

As the Executive General Manager of General Insurance at Compare the Market, Adrian Taylor works to make it easier for homeowners, renters and landlords to protect their home and contents. He believes it’s important for all residents (whether they rent, own or lease) to have adequate financial cover for their property and belongings in case the worse should happen.