The First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) was introduced by the Australian Government to help Australian’s with their first home purchase. The Grant is available across Australia, at a base amount of $7,000, although the total grant amount and legislation varies for each state.
You can find more information about the FHOG in your state using the links below.
- Australian Capital Territory
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
- South Australia
- Western Australia
How do I know if I am eligible for the First Home Owner Grant?
If you meet the following criteria, you may be eligible to apply for the First Home Owners Grant:
- Will this be the first time you have owned or built a house in Australia?
- Do you intend to live in the property for at least 6 months consecutively, within 12 months of purchase?
- Is the total property purchase less than your state’s stipulated capped amount?
Are the rules different for newly built vs. pre-existing properties?
The base amount will be $7,000, however, extra incentives may be offered in some states and territories if you are building your first home.
What is the purchase value cap for my property?
- ACT – $750,000
- NSW – $650,000
- NT – $600,000
- QLD – $750,000
- SA – $575,000
- VIC – $750,000
- WA – $750,000 (or $1,000,000 for properties north of the 26th parallel)
- TAS – no limit
Information published current as of January 2014