How to make a home insurance claim

Average customer rating: 4.3/5

A guide to making a home insurance claim

Updated March 19, 2024
Written by Kenneth Young
Reviewed by Adrian Taylor

The home insurance claim process

1. Report the incident

2. Prepare for the claim

3. Lodge your home insurance claim

Settling your claim

Don’t hesitate to call your insurer and request an update on your claim any time you need to. Remember that in Australia, general insurance is regulated. For any complaints through the process, you can contact the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). AFCA’s purpose is to provide independent and impartial solutions and outcomes for Australians who wish to submit a complaint against their insurer.

If your claim is successful

If you disagree with the outcome

Do home insurance claims affect my premiums?

Inclusions and exclusions

What does home insurance cover?

Can I get a home insurance policy to claim for existing damages?

Meet our home and contents expert, Adrian Taylor

Adrian Taylor
Executive General Manager – General Insurance

As the Executive General Manager of General Insurance at Compare the Market, Adrian Taylor works to make it easier for homeowners, renters and landlords to protect their home and contents. He believes it’s important for all residents (whether they rent, own or lease) to have adequate financial cover for their property and belongings in case the worse should happen.