Rental car excess insurance

Average customer rating: 4.3/5

Rental car excess insurance

Last updated March 19, 2024
Written by Tiana Lee-Collins
Reviewed by Adrian Taylor

Why take out travel insurance with car rental excess insurance?

You might be wondering whether it’s best to take out rental car excess insurance with your rental company or with your travel insurance policy. Here’s a few ways taking out travel insurance with rental car excess cover might be a good option for you:

  • If you choose a travel insurance policy with rental car excess insurance included automatically, then you may be getting the coverage you need at no extra cost.
  • While rental car excess insurance from your rental company may cover damages to your rental, it won’t cover any medical expenses from your accident. For this you’ll need a travel insurance policy that includes medical cover.
  • When you take out a travel insurance policy, a range of other benefits may be in included, such as cover for medical expenses, cancellations, delays and lost, damaged or stolen luggage.

Choosing car rental excess cover

If you’re considering purchasing travel insurance with cover for your rental vehicle excess, there’s a few things you should consider:

  • The type of vehicle you’re planning to rent, as not all are covered under rental car excess cover. However, some policies will extend cover to campervans, mini-buses and even motorhomes.
  • Be sure to list all drivers on the rental vehicle agreement, as drivers who are not nominated may not be covered if they are in control of the vehicle when it is damaged.
  • What level of rental vehicle excess cover you need as the cover will vary between providers and their policies. Read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Target Market Determination (TMD) for details on the benefits, limits, sub-limits and exclusions, as well as whether the policy suits your needs.

Expert tips for choosing the right travel insurance with car hire excess cover

Our Executive General Manager of General Insurance, Adrian Taylor, has some top tips on choosing a suitable travel insurance policy that includes cover for your car hire excess.

Adrian Taylor
Executive General Manager – General Insurance

Consider what extras you may need

If you’re planning to hire a car while travelling, it’s a good idea to take out a policy with rental vehicle excess cover included. But, you should also consider adding additional cover for cruise or ski holidays if you’re taking part in those activities.

Two-wheeled vehicles will need different cover

If you’re planning on renting a two-wheeled vehicle, car hire excess insurance won’t cover you. For vehicles such as motorcycles, mopeds or scooters, you will need to purchase a different cover option.

Check if you’re covered for returning your rental vehicle

If you are injured in an accident, your medical practitioner may deem you unfit to drive and return the rental car yourself. Some insurers may offer cover for the costs associated with getting your car returned to the car hire company on your behalf.

About car rental excess

What is rental car excess?

What is excess reduction?

What is a collision damage waiver?

Travel insurance for rental car excess

How does travel insurance cover car hire excess?

Is car hire excess insurance worth it?

How much is car hire excess insurance?

What types of travel insurance cover hire car excess?

Important to know

When won’t I be covered for my car hire excess under travel insurance?

My rental company also offers excess insurance. Should I use theirs or my own travel insurance?

How do I claim the hire car excess back from my insurer?

Does my travel insurance cover the excess of other hired vehicles?

Meet our travel insurance expert, Adrian Taylor

Adrian Taylor
Executive General Manager – General Insurance

As the Executive General Manager of General Insurance, Adrian Taylor believes in educating customers about the importance of travel insurance so that anyone can kick back and make the most of their time away from home. While no one wants a disrupted holiday, a suitable travel insurance policy can provide a financial safety net for yourself, your belongings and your trip in case things go wrong.