Travel insurance for the UK

Average customer rating: 4.3/5

A guide to travel insurance for the UK

Last updated March 19, 2024
Written by Tiana Lee-Collins
Reviewed by Adrian Taylor

Why take out travel insurance for the UK?

Travel insurance is always a good idea, and it can help financially cover unexpected situations that disrupt your trip. If you’re still not convinced, here are a few ways travel insurance may benefit you:

  • Medicare and private health insurance aren’t available overseas; however, unlike an RCHA travel insurance may help cover the costs of medical emergencies as well as some medications, emergency dental care, repatriation and more.
  • If bad weather delays your flights or causes you to miss out on pre-booked accommodation or tours, you may be reimbursed for some of the costs.
  • Most policies come with 24/7 global emergency assistance in case you need support while you’re overseas and in a different time zone.

Choosing travel insurance for the UK

Before you choose a travel insurance policy, consider what cover is important to you. To help make sure you’re selecting a suitable policy, consider the following:

  • If you’re planning on taking part in risky activities, you should consider taking out ski and snowboarding cover or an adventure activities add-on, depending on your itinerary, to make sure you have the cover you need.
  • Renting a car can be a great way to get around the UK, but it’s a good idea to have rental car excess cover in case your hire car is damaged or stolen during your journey.
  • If you want to understand exactly what’s included in your policy and its exclusions, limits and sub-limits, you should read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) of your policy. For information on whether the policy is suitable for your needs, consider reading the Target Market Determination (TMD).

Expert tips for choosing the right travel insurance for the UK

Our Executive General Manager of General Insurance, Adrian Taylor, has some top tips for helping you choose a travel insurance policy for your trip.

Adrian Taylor
Executive General Manager – General Insurance

Declare your pre-existing conditions

Always declare any pre-existing medical conditions when you take out travel insurance to check whether your medical condition will be covered under your policy. This also helps avoid unpleasant financial surprises if you’re injured or become ill while travelling and have your claim rejected.

Consider what you want cover for

When thinking about insurance for the UK, consider the cover you need. Comprehensive cover may offer things like medical expenses, cancellation fees, luggage and rental vehicle excess, which are important benefits to include in your policy. You may also be covered in the event of a natural disasterpandemic or crisis, but this depends on whether travel warnings were in place before you purchased cover.

Annual cover may suit frequent travellers

If you plan to travel several times a year, you may find greater value in purchasing an annual multi-trip policy. This type of travel insurance can cover all your trips for a full year, up to the maximum trip limit of your policy.

All about travel insurance for the UK

Do I need travel insurance for the UK?

Can travel insurance for the UK cover multiple countries or long trips?

What if I plan to work in the UK?

Inclusions and exclusions

What should your travel insurance for the UK include?

What does travel insurance for the UK exclude?

Meet our travel insurance expert, Adrian Taylor

Adrian Taylor
Executive General Manager – General Insurance

As the Executive General Manager of General Insurance, Adrian Taylor believes in educating customers about the importance of travel insurance so that anyone can kick back and make the most of their time away from home. While no one wants a disrupted holiday, a suitable travel insurance policy can provide a financial safety net for yourself, your belongings and your trip in case things go wrong.